Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Inspirational Writing about Writing

It's not always easy for me to write something here everyday. I had a nice post for last night most of the way written - in my head. Getting it on a page is another matter.

I should try harder. Sometimes life interrupts.

Regular updates are one of the things that Mark Bernstein points to in the excellent 10 Tips on Writing the Living Web. He notes that even fifteen minutes a day can add up to quite a few words over the course of a year.

His article has been around for a couple of years now, and I've seen it fuel more than one argument. Some of the points made seem to rub some people the wrong way.

But, I find it inspirational. The same is true of Rebecca Blood's essay weblogs: a history and perspective. Rebecca's words were one of the forces that started me blogging.

So I'm going to try to add some shorter posts on a daily basis, to go with some of the longer ones that I seem to be fond of lately.


And I'm going to try to write something everyday, even if I only have 15 minutes to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi William,

blogging is sharing oneself, not only of one's thoughts, but also your likes and dislikes. Half of my posts are quotes or news, or jokes that I read on the course of the day. Of course, I separate what I write, and also what other people's write into separate topics.

I have a small PDA where I put the topics into the TODO list, and then when I have time to write, sit down, look over the topics, and start to write. After writing, I tick off.

I still have dozens of topics in my PDA which eventually I will include.

It became clear to me how many random thoughts or observations get lost if you don't write it down. So a handy PDA or a small notebook is invaluable to catch these random thoughts which may never return.

best regards,
wilson ng
www.bizdrivenlife.net

William Slawski said...

Hi Wilson,

That's a pretty good use of your PDA. I'm going to have to consider getting one, and using it in a similar manner.

I was thinking today of some of the ways people can use more tools in their work, in part because of your post.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers.

Bill